Ain't nothing going on but the rent

As a writer, I took a vow of poverty years ago. Unless you're tapped by Oprah or write about vampires and wizards, prepare to be doing all sorts of side jobs to make ends meet. By day I'm the editor of a magazine and by night I'm a poet, novelist, freelancer, essayist, social media consultant. Yes, I wear a lot of hats. The rent must be paid.

This week, I'm starting a new side job reviewing audio books. I'm excited about this, because the extra money is going to help pay some bills, I'll have some left over for gadgets (helllloooo iPad!) and it will force me to sit down, chill and take a break from my own writing and listen to someone else's work.

I manage to get all this work done (and still sleep until noon on the weekends) because I believe in time management. I make a list of what has to be done and put in the time. When I come home from work, I relax for an hour or two, watch CNN and then I turn off the TV, put on some music and work on the current project for two hours, take an hour to watch "Glee," "Fringe" or one of my BBC shows, and then it's back to the project. I'm usually in bed by 1 a.m. Those who get up at 4 a.m. to write are outta their damn minds. I'm getting my best sleep at 4 a.m.

My main project right now is finishing Remain in Light. To help light a fire under my ass, the publisher of Vanilla Heart sent over four cover concepts this weekend. Without having read the entire book, she was able to hone in on the mood and mystery of the novel. The concepts were all good, but there was one that was just a knockout. I can't wait for everyone to see it. I actually think it's better than the Conquering Venus cover, which I love.

Tonight is my reading with Karen Head at Georgia Center for the Book in Decatur. You can read more about it by just scrolling down to the previous entry on the blog. And to close out this entry, Gwen Guthrie telling it like it is:

Comments

Anonymous said…
"Those who get up at 4 a.m. to write are outta their damn minds."

Agreed.

I'd give myself a B- on time management. Hopefully I can find time to improve...
Jeannine said…
I'm thinkin about taking up tech writing again to be able to fund my poetry, esp. if I want to travel for my second book's readings - I'll tell ya, the adjunct teaching gig just doesn't pay the big bucks I expected, LOL.
January said…
I think we are twins separated at birth, except sleeping in at noon on weekends. The kids won't allow that. But I understand your work ethic.

Hope tonight's reading goes well. Will miss you at AWP!
Impressive, though - the amount you manage to do! Hope you get your ipad.

Popular Posts