Sean Penn & Dustin Lance Black win for "Milk!"

You commie, homo-loving sons of guns... I think it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way. We've got to have equal rights for everyone. -- Sean Penn, Best Actor for Milk


Most of all, if Harvey had not been taken from us 30 years ago, I think he’d want me to say to all of the gay and lesbian kids out there tonight who have been told they are less than by their churches, or by the government, or by their families, that you are beautiful, wonderful creatures of value. And that no matter what everyone tells you, God does love you, and that very soon, I promise you, you will have equal rights federally across this great nation of ours.  -- Dustin Lance Black, Best Original Screenplay


Comments

Liz said…
Fantastic! They so deserve those Oscars.
Anonymous said…
I got teary-eyed at DLB's speech. And damn he's hot.

GAV
I loved it! I just wrote him a note on his Facebook wall.
jaxx said…
i'm definitely not down with all this academy award stuff, but i do love to see Milk in the spotlight. queers rule!
Anonymous said…
woohoo!
Justin Evans said…
Hell yeah!
Maggie May said…
yup, pretty awesome. i llike how Sean said 'i know i've made it pretty hard at times to appreciate me' :)
jessica handler said…
I was asleep by the time Penn got his award (I'll look at the speech here) but Dustin Lance Black's speech made us straight people in my house applaud and cheer.
I was crying, Coll. Thank you, God, for Sean Penn!And Dustin Lance Black!
btw, I thought the Oscars show was particularly spectacular last night.
Anonymous said…
Yep, he made me cry. And yes, he's hot, but more than anything, what a fine person. Thanks for this. I missed the Oscars, and this is one great moment.
Anonymous said…
Hi Collin -- I just ran across this petition and wanted to share it with you (don't know if you've seen it yet):

http://www.couragecampaign.org/page/s/divorce

It's got a great video showing couples holding up signs that say "Don't Divorce Us". Very moving.
Pris said…
I went to the Oscar website and watched the videos there. Sean Penn really moved me, too. Thanks for summarizing some of that again here.
Rhiannon said…
Hi, Lisa referred me to your blog. Lisa mentioned you love Kate Bush and I'm an avid Kate Bush fan also..have been for many many years now. I posted running up that hill video song on my blog.

I thought the academy awards show was very well done and quite different. I loved what Sean Penn said also..just being himself honest and "real"...good for him.

Blessings,

Rhiannon

Popular Posts