HOORAY FOR JULIE CHRISTIE: Because of the ongoing Writer's Guild strike, The Golden Globes were an hour-long "news conference" this evening on NBC. It was fabulous. Every award show should adopt this format even after the strike ends. No acceptance speeches, no plotzing by undeserving starlets, no three-hour snooze fest. The best news: Julie Christie won best actress for her brilliant turn as a woman suffering from Alzheimer's in Away From Her. One of the best movies of the year. It's on DVD now, so rent it and get a couple of boxes of hankies. I was also thrilled that Cate Blanchett won for her portrayal of Bob Dylan in I'm Not There and that Atonement won best picture. Well deserved wins all around.

Comments

i saw Atonement last night. it was great.

Billy Bush is cute, too bad he's blood of evil.
Collin Kelley said…
Billy is a total douche, which kills his hotness. His snarky little comment about Cate winning for playing a man pissed me off.
Unknown said…
I very much want to see Atonement, but it hasn't come here yet. Generally, if it doesn't "explode," it doesn't play in this part of Michigan.
Anonymous said…
Can't believe I've seen all 3 of those winners . . . . Atonement somehow followed the exact arc of the book - the trope of presenting a scene then going back and showing it again from a diff POV . . . it's sooo Pulp Fiction, but it must have been done before Tarrantino . . .
Kate Evans said…
I did see Away from Her in spite of (or maybe because of) my mom's diagnosis. I, too, though it was great. Good to see Christie getting such kudos.

Popular Posts