WEEKEND UPDATE - LONDON EDITION: It's clear and cold this morning in London. I've already had my breakfast and dashed down to HMV on Oxford Street in a vain attempt to get a spot for the signing by Doctor Who stars David Tennant and Freema Agyeman. Alas, it wasn't to be. And I was really pissed off about it. HMV said on its website you had to queue up at 9 a.m. this morning and they would give out 500 bracelets to gain entrance to the signing, but then they opened the doors and announced all the bracelets were gone. So many people stomped out. One guy through his boxed set on the floor and walked out. I asked the cashier and he said hundreds of people started lining up Sunday and so they decided to give out the bracelets to those who been out in the cold all day. Such bullshit. I digress...

On Saturday, I went to Covent Garden and met up with some of the Kate Bush Forum members. That evening was the meet up, which turned out to be kind of a bust. There were only about 20 of us and it was all guys. It was lovely to see familiar faces, but it definitely lacked the energy and fun of the last two. The pub owners at The Castle were very kind to open the upstairs room, but I think they got the shaft on the deal. They didn't charge a fee, thinking around 50 people would be there drinking lots of alcohol. I had three Jack and Cokes, which is about my limit these days. I know, I know...lightweight. If there is a meet up next year in London it will be small and informal and probably at someones home. Chances are, my trip to the UK next year will be over the summer.

Yesterday, I met up with my friends Donna, Krys and Peter and we drove up to Cambridge, which is absolutely beautiful. We met up with more friends -- Neal, Rebecca and Lesley -- at The Eagle pub in the heart of the town. The Eagle, by the by, was where the announcement was made of the discovery of DNA by local scientists in 1953 (pictured) and where RAF crews would come in for drinks during WWII. We had a delicious meal, lots of laughs and then took a stroll around the city during the evening. The churches were so beautiful. It's an ancient town that has retained the majority of it buildings. One church we stopped at had been there since 1160 or some such. The Eagle pub had been there since the 1500s. I felt surrounded by history. It was amazing to spend the day with these friends of mine in such a beautiful place. I hope to have some photos of this trip up at the weekend. On the way back into London, we got caught up in a road accident and sat on the M11 for an hour. I didn't get back to the hotel until midnight and crashed out immediately.

Today, I'm going to take it easy. I might go see a film and do a bit more shopping. I'm actually thinking of going back up to the room for a nap...and it's only 10:30 a.m. More on Wednesday.

Comments

Thanks for the memories! Andrew and I strolled around Cambridge a couple of days in 1998 - so long ago already! - and unfortunately are unlikely to do so again. It is indeed a beautiful city, and we experienced it as a relaxed and friendly one.
Anonymous said…
Sounds like you're having a great time. Have fun!

GAV
Rupert said…
Dude, i'm in Dublin while you're in London - this place is like a mini-me London, swinging w a euro-youth sex-plosion, very Polish too, and, as usual, yu walk your ass off and run up a bad-ass plastic bill . . . but you know all that - see you soon - cool about your reading!

Popular Posts