JULIA ON DVD...AT LAST: SubtleTea has publish my essay/review on the classic film Julia starring Jane Fonda, Vanessa Redgrave and Jason Robards. This is absolutely one of my favorite films. Based on a story in Lillian Hellman's "memoir" Pentimento, it's beautifully acted and directed. James Frey and A Million Little Pieces has nothing on Lillian. She went to her grave never recanting Julia, but most everyone agrees she used another woman's adventures as the basis for that chapter of Pentimento. Nevertheless, it's a fascinating story and an even better film. You can read the essay by clicking here.

Comments

Unknown said…
Good essay--makes me want to see the movie. Also liked that last paragraph where you compare it to painting, telling lies as it were to tell the bigger truth. I haven't read this memoir either, I'll put it on my (endless) to buy list.
Collin Kelley said…
Oh, please see it, Jenni. I'd love to hear your thoughts. It's a very "literary" film and it doesn't answer all the questions. I think it was a very bold film for the time. There was that period in the 1970s where great films like this were made...I think of "All the President's Men" and "Network." Smart films that came out in that same era.
David Herrle said…
Yes, good piece. I'll be renting this soon!!!

- D.

Popular Posts