WEEKEND UPDATE: I was glad to see that the US and other countries have now recognized the ongoing genocide in Darfur. The US has threatened sanctions and the UK is considering sending in troops. A UN peacekeeping force should also be considered.

On Saturday, I went down to Fayetteville for the Georgia Poetry Society quarterly meeting. We have a new president, Steven Shields, and I was re-elected vice president. My pal Lisa Allender is the new secretary and Ira Harrison remains as treasurer. What I was most excited about is Steven's vision for the future of GPS. He wants to infuse the organization with grants and donations from corporations, possibly start an online literary journal, name a Georgia Poet of the Year and create more programs to make GPS as valuable as possible. I did a short workshop at the meeting and was also surprised to get an award from the National Poetry Society (of which GPS is an affiliate) for having one of the best newsletters in the country. A little ego stroking never hurt nobody. Since I was down in Fayetteville, I also went to dinner with my parents, who I don't get to see very often.

Today, I decided to stick close to home. I needed a break and was just feeling a bit tired. I got the Criterion DVD of one of my fave films, The Long Good Friday, and watched that, as well as worked on the read-through of my novel, Conquering Venus. I think I mentioned in another post that I am taking out a few adverbs and just making sure its up to snuff. Some exciting opportunities are ahead for the novel. Getting it published would be a great follow up after the success of Better To Travel.


Comments

Popular Posts